Saturday, June 02, 2007

Kanda Bachali












Italian spinach

Ingredients:

Kanda/ Ratalu - Frozen 350 g packet (wash these in warm water)
Tamarind - Lemon size
Water - 1 & 1/2 rice cup


Keep these in cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Remove the tamarind in a bowl add the cooked water around 1/2 cup. and squeeze the pulp. Drain the water from the kanda by using strainer and keep aside or use directly.

Bachali/ Italian spinach - 1 bunch (wash and chop roughly)
Salt to taste
Coriander Leaves - small handful

Seasoning:

Oil - 3 tbsp
Chana dal - 2 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Red chillies - 4 no. (broken into bits)
Green chillies - 4 no.(chopped finely)
Curry leaves - 3 sprigs
Hing - 2 pinch
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp


Powder:

Mustard seeds - 1 tsp

Powder this in pestle and keep aside.

Proceed:

1) Heat a deep non-stick pan, when it is hot add oil, wait for few mins and do seasoning in the above order.

2) Add Bachali leaves and fry for 2mins, add tamarind juice and cook for 10mins, by mixing now and then.

3) Add drained kanda to it, mix well, keep covered and simmer for 15mins.

4) Add Salt to taste and coriander leaves, cook on high for 2mins and switch off.

5) Add Mustard powder, mix well and serve.

Serve with Vadiyams or Poppadums, Plain Rice and Yoghurt.

Where to find?

Frozen Ratalu can be found in Indian groceries in freezer section.

© 2007 by Rajani Rayudu

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kanda bhachali, Yum!:)
Looks delicious Rajani.

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Indira,
Taste chala bavuntadhi, meeru try chesi chudandi.

cheers
rajani

Viji said...

Very nice Rajani. Viji

Richa said...

hey the dish looks yum! liked the addion of mustard pwd, good to know frozen ratalu works well in this :)

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hi,
First time in ur blog.
Bright colours,i like ur blog and nice recipes too.Do visit my blog and give ur comments.

Sreelu said...

Rajani,

Kanda bachali is my favorite but I do not get bacchali here. looks mouth watering

Roopa said...

looks delicious rajani nice dish!

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Viji,
Thanks.

Hi Richa,
Thanks. Thats what the secret in here, it gives nice aroma and taste by adding mustard powder. Ya, aren't we lucky at least to get Indian veges.

Hi Priar's,
Welcome to my blog. Thanks dear, visited your site. Nice blog going on with all the ganesha photos and recipes.

Hi Sreelu,
Oh! can't u find them in market where all the veges are sold. Lucky us we have found them in market.

Hi Roopa,
Thanks and tastes good, just the way we eat in marriage ceremony.

cheers
rajani

Sharmi said...

my MIL's trademark recipe. they keep telling me this recipe but I dont get that bachali leaves. first time got to see the recipe.

Kajal said...

Yummy.......nice picture.......thanks for sharing.:)

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Sharmi,
This one is very tasty and simple dish. I thought to make it for my party, but couldn't get hold of the leaves. It's winter so last weekend is the last to get them here. Any way better luck next year for me.

Hi Kajal,
You are welcome and thanks.

cheers
rajani

Satyasurabhi said...

Dear Rajani,
That sounds like a great spinach recipe! The recipe is also a bit unique in the preparation of the dish at the beginning. Like the way you have given clear and detailed instructions. Wonder if this recipe has a tangy taste because of the addition of tamarind? Waiting to try it out!

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Pritya,
Thanks for your wonderful words at my blog.

Yup this dish tastes tangy! because it has tamarind in it. Do try and let me know. Thanks.....

cheers
rajani

Ram Kuntamukkala said...

This is fantastic. I love this curry and thanks for recipe. We miss all those wonderful dishes from AP.

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Ram,
Welcome to my blog! do try and let me know. This is a good combination using both veges. You can do pappu and pickle too with bachali akku. Thanks for visiting.

cheers
rajani

Unknown said...

Hi Rajani,

Great job, its good to see people exploring old recipes. This is not only one of the best dishes, but also contains lot of medicinal values. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will definitely try this in a short time.

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi,

Thanks appreciate your comments. I am glad you like my recipes. Do try and let me know your feed back......

cheers
rajani

Dilip said...

Hi

I know this item my mom used to make it. I tried the same way as it was posted here. But Kanda was over cooked. I guess it was a bad idea to cook a frozen vegetable in pressure cooker. I should have just boiled it until it is good to eat.

How did others make it?

Rajani Rayudu said...

Hi Dilip,

Give it a try the way you mentioned and let me know how it turned out, might help others too.

cheers
rajani